Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Perils of Dogwalking at Night

For the past few weeks, we've really been working on taking the dogs for walks more frequently (and by "more frequently" I mean "at all"). Because we have a fenced in yard, the dogs get plenty of exercise chasing one another around. But we know that not only is a walk good physical exercise, it's also mentally stimulating for dogs and we know that a tired dog is a good dog. Hence, the walking.

Because of the crazy rain we've had lately, last night was the first walk we've taken since time changed. By the time we got home from work, fed the dogs, fed ourselves, and tidied the kitchen, it was well after dark. We weren't too worried, because we have street lights and the park where we walk the dogs is well lit as well. So we bundled the dogs in their jackets, attached the requisite halters, haltis, and leashes, and off we went.

Everything went quite well until we were about two houses away from returning home. Then, you guessed it... Code Brown. On our neighbor's lawn. So I pulled a poop bag from my pocket, handed Gypsy's leash to Meg, and leaned over to make my pick up.

Except.

It was dark. And there were fallen leaves everywhere. I could smell it (boy could I smell it) but I couldn't see it. So I looked. And I looked. Nothing. But that smell. That's when I noticed that not only was my neighbor home, but she standing outside watching us. Oops.

Note to self: Dig around the camping gear and find the headlamps.

Second note to self: Stop feeding Maisey so much broccoli, that sh1t stinks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I had this experience the other day. It was so bad and I felt bad. I pretended to pick up the poop, I think I got a rock, but that is about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Btw, we did go back and pick it up last night. I suspect we also picked up some other dog's pewp,too.

    ReplyDelete